- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: Makes 1 13x9-inch cake
The secret ingredient in this super moist and rich cake is none other than mayonnaise! Use reduced fat mayo and go light on fat and calories but not on taste.
- 4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cocoa
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups light mayonnaise, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13x9-inch cake pan with butter or cooking spray and line the bottom with wax paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Mix in the water, mayonnaise and vanilla. Beat until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake; if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Cool cake completely for at least 20 minutes before frosting or dusting with powdered sugar.