- Prep: 40 min
- Cook Time: 4 hr
- Total: 4 hr 40 min
- Serving: Makes about 2 cups
Kutia is a warm Ukrainian sweet pudding that is frequently made around the holidays. A combination of wheat berries, honey, fruit and nuts make this dish hearty and delicious.
- 1 cup wheat berries, soaked in water overnight
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped apples
- Bring the water and 1 pinch of salt to a boil in a large pan, and then add the wheat berries. Simmer the berries for 4 hours and then set aside to cool.
- Place the poppy seeds in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1/2 hour to soak and then drain well.
- In the meantime, place the nuts in a small skillet and toast over medium heat, stirring often, until golden and fragrant.
- Combine the cooked wheat berries, honey, poppy seeds, toasted nuts and apples in a bowl and stir to combine. Serve immediately.