- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Turmeric is a bright yellow spice from the ginger family. It is frequently used in Asian cooking and is said to have amazing health benefits. Use with caution as it can stain clothes and countertops in seconds.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 red sweet peppers, seeded and quartered
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Prepare your oven broiler.
- Place the rice, vegetable broth, water, and turmeric into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pan and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, toss the sweet peppers and garlic in a bowl with the olive oil. Transfer to a baking sheet and then sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Grill the mixture for 10 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and cut into small pieces once cool enough to handle. Add the chopped peppers, raisins and walnuts to the rice, toss to combine and then serve immediately.