- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 6
For a sumptuous, yet simple affair, pasta and tomato sauce can't be beat. Ground turkey is a lean way to add a meaty balance to this normally high-carbohydrate combination.
- 1 (6 ounce) onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) yellow bell pepper, seeded, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch salt
- Â½ teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cups your favorite pasta sauce
- Â½ cup fresh basil leaves, rolled and thinly cut crosswise
- 4 cups cooked whole wheat fettuccini (cooked al dente, just underdone
- Heat oil on medium-high in a large nonstick saucepan.
- Cook onion, garlic, bell pepper and spices, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and break up chunks, continually stirring until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in pasta sauce and combine ingredients, turn heat to medium-low.
- Let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and basil to pan, toss to coat, and remove from heat.
- If using cold (refrigerated leftover pasta), let mixture cook until pasta is warm, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.