- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 4
This unique and hearty Tuna Chowder is sure to warm up any soup lover.
- 4 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1, 7 ounce can of water packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 small package frozen peas
- For thickening the soup: 1/4 cup flour to 1 cup water
- Cook macaroni for 10 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain.
- Saute onion in vegetable shortening until tender and translucent.
- Add hot water, salt and pepper. Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni, peas, tuna and milk.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and water making sure there are no lumps. Pour thickening mixture into pot and stir.
- Cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup in individual bowls. Sprinkle with paprika.