- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 6 People
Is a trip to Hawaii not in your near future? Bring Hawaii to your backyard and host a Luau Night by serving up these tasty tropical island luau burgers with piña colada sauce. There is a balance of sweet and heat that will have your hips swaying to the music and ready to go low on the limbo!
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 pound ground pork or an egg (ground turkey crumbles easily, so it needs some fat. You can either mix in ground pork or a well beaten egg to the mixture to prevent the burger from crumbling and getting too dry)
- 1 can sliced pineapple in its juice/syrup
- 1/2 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Jerk seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt (plain may be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon cream of coconut
- 1 pineapple slice, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pineapple juice
- Dash of rum (optional)
- Hamburger buns
- In a small bowl, combine the pineapple slices and 1 tablespoon of the teriyaki sauce. Take two slices of the pineapple and chop.
- Make the piña colada sauce by stirring together the yogurt, cream of coconut, one pineapple slice, 1 teaspoon of pineapple juice and a dash of the rum. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, ground pork, chopped pineapple, onion, Jerk seasoning, salt, pepper and the teriyaki sauce.
- Gently combine all of the ingredients and pat out to make burgers, about 6 to 8 regular-sized burgers (or you can make into fun, bite-sized sliders).
- Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over each burger, and place them on a hot grill pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the burgers 7 to 8 minutes longer, turning occasionally. (No more than twice.) Do not press down on burgers, you want the juices to remain inside.
- Transfer to a plate and let the burgers rest for 2 minutes before serving.
- Spread the piña colada sauce on the buns. Place the burgers on the buns and serve with any garnishments of your choice.