- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 14 min
- Total: 29 min
- Serving: Makes 2 dozen cookies
These soft and chewy ginger cookies are great for sharing with friends and family during the holidays!
- 4-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- Mix together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.
- Beat shortening until softened, gradually adding 2 cups sugar; beat until fluffy.
- Mix in eggs and molasses to shortening mixture, blending well.
- Add half of flour mixture; mix well.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Shape dough into 2-inch balls.
- Roll in sugar before placing on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes. Do not over-bake or cookies will not be chewy.