- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 4 to 6 People
Have you ever thought of food as a relationship builder? Cooking together can help bond relationships with family, friends, and your significant other. If you don't have a lot of time to cook together on a regular basis, reserve a Sunday during the month to prepare a dish or a whole meal from scratch with someone special in your life.
This recipe was provided by Maria Liberati, author of "The Basic Art of Italian Cooking." (© Maria Liberati, 2005, 2006, 2007, "The Basic Art of Italian Cooking")
Maria Liberati is a celebrity chef, bestselling author and healthy cooking expert. Her first book, “The Basic Art of Italian Cooking” met rave reviews. Her second book is entitled "The Basic Art of Italian Cooking – Holidays and Special Occasions." You can find out more about Maria from her website at marialiberati.com or her blog at mariaandco.blogspot.com.
- 1/4 cup European butter
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate pieces
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 fresh orange
- 2 tablespoons butter to butter the pan
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- Soften butter in a bowl until it cuts into small pieces.
- Break egg, separating the white and egg yolk into two different bowls.
- Break chocolate into pieces and place in a glass bowl. Place the bowl in a microwave for 30 seconds, or until melted (all microwave times vary, so leave on for 15 to 30 seconds the first time).
- Place softened butter and sugar in another bowl and mix until smooth; add egg yolk and continue to mix; add melted chocolate, a little at a time until combined.
- Add flour, a small spoonful at a time, mixing until combined.
- Grate 1/2 of an orange and add the peel and chopped nuts; mix well.
- Beat egg white until peaks have formed and gently fold into chocolate mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a round cake pan or cover the pan with baking paper. Dust the bottom of the pan with plain breadcrumbs and pour in batter. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- To be sure it is done, place toothpick in center, it must come out dry. If necessary, cook for 5 minutes more.
- Dust serving plates with powdered cocoa. Cut cake into squares; serve with a thin slice of orange.