- Prep: 8 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 48 min
- Serving: 8
A classic egg dish with an elegant Italian flare, the pungent fresh basil permeates throughout and pairs effortlessly with the fresh tomato slices.
- Egg Mixture
- In a large bowl, whisk together the following:
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup lowfat plain yogurt
- Large handful of basil leaves, rolled and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- Â¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne or to taste
- 1 (9 inch) ready-to-bake pie shell (preferably whole wheat)
- 2 (5 ounces each) ripe tomatoes, sliced Â¼ inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and adjust oven rack to middle position.
- Pour egg mixture into pie shell.
- Lay tomato slices onto egg mixture allowing them to sink.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through, puffed and golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly and deflate. Cut into wedges and serve warm.