- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Fresh tomatoes give this delicious soup its intense flavor, while the addition of tortellini provides satisfying texture and heartiness.
Photo originally appeared on www.bhg.com
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 6 medium), peeled, seeded, and cut up
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces packaged dried tortellini
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place the olive oil into a soup pan over medium heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, water, tomato sauce, sage, salt, and pepper and then bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce to the mixture, stir to combine and then set the soup aside to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, cook the tortellini according to package directions and drain. Add the pasta to the soup and stir to combine. Serve garnished with the Parmesan cheese.