- Prep: 12 hr 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 12 hr 15 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Black-eyed peas are not only delicious but they are also rich in fiber and nutrients. Enjoy this vegetarian salad with fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes.
- 3 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 3 medium-sized heirloom tomatoes (mixed variety), diced
- 1/4 bunch fresh basil, picked and roughly chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the peas in a pot over high heat and cover with cold water by 2 inches.
- Bring the beans to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and soak the peas, covered, overnight to soften.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, sugar and garlic. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking vigorously until emulsified.
- Add the beans and the remaining ingredients to the bowl and toss to coat with the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste.