- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: Makes 6-8 Servings
This Mexican-inspired salsa adds amazing flavor to steak, chicken and pork. Spoon it right over grilled meat or serve as a side sauce.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos (about 12), husks removed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 red or green jalapeño pepper
- Sea salt
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatillos and garlic and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Uncover the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes before removing pan from heat and allowing to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the tomatillo mixture into a bowl along with the avocado, cilantro, red wine vinegar, jalapeño and a few pinches of salt. Mix well to combine.