- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Try this vegetarian version of the classis American BLT sandwich; you won’t even miss the bacon.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers, divided
- 14 ounces water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained, rinsed, pat-dried
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 slices crusty whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 4 pieces green-leaf lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 475 and grease a baking pan with oil, butter or cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mustard, soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce until blended.
- Slice the tofu, crosswise, into 8 slices, about 1/2-inch thick, and then place on the prepared baking pan.
- Brush the tofu on either side with the soy sauce mixture, and then place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the mayonnaise with the remaining adobo sauce and then spread on the toasted bread slices.
- Top the slices with the cooked tofu, tomatoes and lettuce and the remaining bread.