- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
This tofu-based soup made with carrots is both creamy and satisfying. Using non-fat evaporated milk instead of heavy cream reduces the amount of total fat and calories.
- 1 8-ounces package sliced button mushrooms (2-1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 12.3-ounce package silken-style firm tofu (fresh bean curd), cut up
- 3 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1 5-ounce can low-fat or non-fat evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Sour cream to garnish
- Fresh thyme to garnish
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the mushrooms, celery, onion, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and the broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the tofu and the evaporated milk. With a stick blender, purée the soup until smooth.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with a swirl of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh thyme.