- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Total: 1 hr 25 min
- Serving: Sauce for 1 pound of pasta
This recipe creates a gorgeous fresh Italian marinara sauce that only needs its pasta partner and a crisp sauvignon blanc to accompany.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 32 ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, puréed
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons basil, chopped
- Place the oil into a saucepan over very low heat and then add the onion, garlic and salt.
- Sauté the mixture for 15 minutes and then stir in the pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes to the saucepan and stir to combine with the onion mixture.
- Sprinkle in the parsley and 1 tablespoon of the basil and then simmer the sauce, partially covered, for 1 hour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the reaming basil. Stir to combine and serve.