- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes 24 (1 Muffin) Servings
Yes, you can still have a muffin for breakfast -- but it won't be the size of a grapefruit! Savor blueberries healthy benefits in moist, delicious mini-muffins. They are loaded with fiber and freeze well too!
- 1 1/2 cups unprocessed wheat bran or oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 ripe medium banana, mashed with a fork
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or other berries
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly coat 2 nonstick miniature muffin pans (12 mini-muffin tins per pan) with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the bran, flour, flaxseed, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside. In another medium bowl or a blender, combine the milk, honey, banana, egg, olive oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in one third of the liquid mixture. Using a spoon, stir until smooth. Add the remaining liquid mixture and stir until well combined. Add the blueberries and stir again, but don't overmix.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the tops spring back when pressed gently in the centers. Do not overBake. Cool the muffins int he pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from the cups. Serve warm, or allow them to cool completely on the rack.