- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 28 min
- Total: 53 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
This creamy Thai dish is spicy, savory and sweet all at the same time. Served over noodles, it is the perfect soup starter for a Thai-themed dinner party.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 Thai peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3-1/2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons Thai fish sauce, divided
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus 2 tablespoons to garnish
- Fill a bowl with warm water and add the noodles. Leave the noodles in the water for 15 minutes to soften and then drain.
- In a large saucepan add the broth, pepper, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, lime zest, lime juice, 3 tablespoons fish sauce and a sprinkle of salt, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the noodles, cooking for an 3 additional minutes. Remove noodles and place in a bowl, covered, to keep warm.
- Add the chicken and coconut milk to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 4 minutes and then add the spinach and cook for an additional 1 minute. Stir in the cilantro and the remaining 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and mix to combine.
- Split the noodles into 4 even portions and place in serving bowls. Ladle with the soup and sprinkle some cilantro on the top to garnish.