- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 40 min
- Total: 2 hr
- Serving: Serves 4
A wonderful and classic Thai dish with beef, coconut and peanuts. Serve with spring rolls for a complete Thai meal.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons massaman curry paste
- 1 pound beef flank or rump steak, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1-2/3 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 potatoes cut into 2-1/2inch pieces
- 3/4 inch piece of ginger shredded
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar
- 2/3 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamarind puree
- Place the cinnamon stick and cloves in a wok and cook for about 2 minutes over low heat until fragrant. Remove from pan.
- Increase the heat to medium, add the oil to the wok and fry the massaman paste for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the beef and fry for 6 minutes, then add the coconut milk, stock, potatoes, ginger, fish sauce, palm sugar, 3/4 of the roasted peanuts, tamarind puree and the dry fried spices. Mix the ingredients well and simmer over low heat for 1-1/2 hours.
- Ladle the mixture into bowls and garnish with the remaining peanuts. Serve immediately.