- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total: 22 min
- Serving: 4
A vegetarian delight with a hearty texture that is far more satisfying than pressed and grilled tofu. Most health food stores and some supermarkets carry packages of tempeh in the freezer or refrigerator section.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages of tempeh
- (or a 1 pound block or 4 tempeh burgers)
- Â¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons sake or white wine
- Â¼ cup pineapple juice*
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Â½ teaspoon white pepper
- In a shallow baking dish, combine the ingredients for the marinade.
- Cut each 8 ounce block of tempeh horizontally into 2 even square slices to get 4 burgers.
- Place in marinade and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Heat grill to medium-high to high temperature.
- Oil grill rack with vegetable oil.
- Remove tempeh from marinade and grill for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Flip with a spatula and grill second side for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately on a wholegrain bun.