- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 8-9 dozen
Light and crisp tea cookies with finely chopped nuts.
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds, walnuts or pecans
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream the sugar, shortening and vanilla together. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat the mixture until smooth.
- Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix in the nuts.
- Beat the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until well combined.
- Shape into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove and cool on wire racks.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve.