- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: Makes about 10 half-pints
This corn relish is made with fresh corn cut from the cob and a mix of red and green sweet peppers.
- 16 fresh ears of corn
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups chopped celery (6 stalks)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped red sweet pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion (2 medium)
- 2-1/2 cups vinegar
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons pickling salt
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Remove the corn kernels from the ears of corn and place into a large pot. Add 2 cups of water, bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the mixture, covered, for 6 minutes and then drain.
- Place the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons of cold water and stir to combine.
- Add the celery, red and green sweet pepper, onion, vinegar, sugar, mustard, pickling salt, celery seeds, and turmeric to the pot and mix to combine. Cook the mixture over medium-high heat for 6 minutes and then add the cornstarch mixture. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Carefully ladle the corn mixture into canning jars up to 1/2-inch from the top, add the lids and then place in a boiling-water canner for 15 minutes.
- Remove the jars and store in a cool and dry location until ready to use.