- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: Makes 2 pints
Delicious slathered on toast or freshly baked bread, this recipe uses Caribbean sweet potatoes called boniato.
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 4 whole cloves
- 1-1/2 pounds Caribbean sweet potatoes (boniato), peeled and diced
- 2 cups sugar, or to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick, 3 inches long
- 1/2 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Place the zest along with the cloves in some cheesecloth and tie to close.
- Place the clove packet, lemon juice, 4 cups of water, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean, and nutmeg into a large pot and place over high heat.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, skimming off any foam from the surface and discarding.
- Remove and discard the clove packet then allow the jam to cool before serving. Jam keeps well for 5 days in the refrigerator.