- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 40 min
Red, yellow or green bell peppers are the main attraction of this classic Italian dish.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 yellow and 1 green bell pepper
- 4 large shallots, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn, plus extra whole leaves for garnish
- 4 slices (4 ounces) Ciabatta, semolina, or French bread
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- On a broiler pan 6 inches from heat, broil the shallots for 8 minutes and peppers for 15-20 minutes or until charred and just tender, turning as they blacken. Place the peppers in a brown bag or bowl. Close or cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Peel off the skin using paper towels; remove stems, seeds. Peel the shallots.
- Cut the peppers into 1/2-inch cubes; chop shallots. Toss with vinegar, salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of oil (can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 2 days). Stir in the basil.
- Rub bread with cut garlic and brush lightly with the remaining oil. Grill or broil until toasted (about 2-5 minutes). Spoon pepper mixture over the bread and garnish with fresh basil leaves.