- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: Makes 1 loaf
Serve this sweet bread at breakfast or as an afternoon snack. Cranberries can be substituted with raisins or dried apricots. Top with cream cheese or butter before serving.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 5 cups flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together buttermilk and instant coffee.
- Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Blend buttermilk mixture into flour combination.
- Add sour cream and eggs; mix until dough becomes stiff.
- Fold in nuts and cranberries.
- Pour batter into loaf pans, then carve an "X" onto the surface and top with butter.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar over top of all.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.