- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Because caramelized shallots are a perfect and delicious garnish for so many dishes, it is important to know how to cook them on a minutes’ notice. Here’s an easy recipe.
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 pounds fresh shallots, peeled
- 3 tablespoons sugar 3
- tablespoons good red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium ovenproof sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the shallots and the sugar. Mix well so the shallots are coated.
- Cook the onions for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shallots begin to brown, and then add the vinegar, salt and the pepper and mix to combine.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast for about 25 minutes. Remove, sprinkle with salt and pepper to season and serve immediately.