- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Total: 1 hr 35 min
- Serving: 8
Sweet Baby Chili has a hint of sweetness and spice. Serve it up with cornbread and a frosty mug of root beer.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 pounds ground beef, lean
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1, 16 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1, 30 ounce can tomatoes, diced, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 2, 16 ounce cans red kidney beans
- Heat the butter in a deep 8 to 12 quart pan. Add the onion, garlic and green pepper and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender, add the ground beef and cook until lightly browned.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except the kidney beans. Simmer on low uncovered, for 45 minutes. Add the kidney beans and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves.