- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 8 servings
A combination or wild and brown rice acts as the base for this sweet and savory salad made with citrus, fresh herbs, dates and almonds.
- 1-1/2 cups wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- Small handful fresh dill, finely chopped
- Small handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cleaned and diced
- 1/2 cup dried dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the wild rice and the brown rice according to package directions. Once cooked, fluff the rice with a fork and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, place the olive oil, lime and orange juice into a small bowl and whisk vigorously to blend.
- Place the cooled rice into a large bowl along with the lime zest, orange zest, dill, parsley, mint, chives, cucumbers, red peppers, dates and almonds. Add the dressing to the salad and toss the mixture to combine. Season the dish to taste with a few pinches of salt and pepper, and then serve.