- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: Serves 4 people
More like a potato than a banana, plantains are slightly exotic! Sweet & Savory Plantains Appetizer will wow your friends and guests at your next party.
- 2 green plantains
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow plantain
- 1/2 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Peel one green plantain and slice into thin rounds. Using a large frying pan, add about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over high heat. Fry the plantain slices until golden (about 2-3 minutes). Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm.
- Coarsely grate the other green plantain and mix it together with the onion. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in the pan and fry the plantain and onion until golden (about 2-3 minutes). Stir them occasionally. Transfer to the plate with the other plantain.
- Peel the yellow plantain and cut it into small chunks. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to the pan and fry the yellow plantain and garlic until brown (about 4-5 minutes). Drain, combine all together and sprinkle with salt. Serve warm.