- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: Serves about 8
The only thing better than a warm bowl of chilly on a cold night is one that's super spicy! This three bean vegetarian chili recipe is the perfect way to give yourself a kick in the mouth. Made with kidney beans, black beans and pinto beans, as well as hot sauce and crushed red pepper, this is not for the faint of heart. Although it's spicy, it's still absolutely mouth-watering, especially paired with some crusty bread!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups water (or more for a thinner chili)
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 15 ounce can of red kidney beans, drained
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh avocado as garnish
- In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin and crushed red pepper.Cook for about 3 minutes then add tomato sauce, water, black, pinto and kidney beans. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for at least 25 minutes.
- Chili will be really thick, so add additional water if you'd prefer a thinner one. Garnish with a fresh slice of avocado and enjoy!