- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr 10 min
- Serving: 6
Super Special Spoon Bread is sweet and creamy.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal, sifted twice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons melted shortening
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Mix cornmeal with 1 cup boiling water in bowl, stirring until smooth. Add 1 cup boiling water, salt, shortening, milk, sugar and egg yolks, mixing well. Fold in egg whites.
- Pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Top with butter. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.