- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A healthy and delicious vegetarian side dish, these hearty black beans are full of spicy flavor.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Place the oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat and sauté the onion for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté the mixture for an additional minute, and then stir in the chile, cumin and oregano and cook for 40 more seconds.
- Stir in the beans, water and tomato paste and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes and then serve immediately.