- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 40 min
- Total: 1 hr 55 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Fill those hearty Super Bowl appetites with an equally hearty and satisfying bowl of chili. Serve with grated cheese melted on the top and a side of tortilla chips.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 8 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1, 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2, 16 ounce cans of kidney beans, drained
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onion and garlic for about 7 minutes.
- Drop in the ground chuck, and break into small pieces as it cooks and begins to brown.
- Sprinkle in the taco seasoning, basil, oregano, and thyme and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth and tomato paste and stir until combined. Cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally so mixture doesn’t stick to pan.
- Add the beans and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and continue to simmer for about 6 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately garnished with grated extra sharp cheddar cheese.