- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: Sauce for 1 pound of pasta
Nothing beats the taste of tomato sauce made with fresh, sun-ripened summer tomatoes and basil.
- 15 plum tomatoes, blanched, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Several sprigs of basil
- Put the olive oil into a large sauce pan over high heat, and add the garlic. Cook the garlic for 3 minutes and then add the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with some salt and then reduce heat to medium-low. Allow the tomato mixture to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Tear the basil leaves and add to the sauce. Cook for an additional 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper.