- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 26 min
- Total: 36 min
- Serving: 8 servings
Farro is a type of wheat that is popular in Italy and the Middle East. Its slightly nutty flavor is a delicious base for this summer salad made with a mix of vegetables and fresh herbs.
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 1 small carrot, halved
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 12 ounces farro, 1-3/4 cups
- 5 cups water
- Sea salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Place the 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the yellow onion, carrot and celery and then cook the mixture, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the farro and sauté the mixture for 1 minute before pouring in the water and bringing to a boil. Add a few pinches of salt to the pan, cover, and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Using a colander, drain the farro and then remove and discard the onion, carrot ad celery.
- Place the remaining oil into a large salad bowl and whisk vigorously with the vinegar and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Add the cooled faro, the red onion, cucumber, tomato, basil and additional salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to combine and then serve.