- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: 36
This fried cookie is different for the uninitiated, but those of Italian heritage will remember them well. Absolutely, ridiculously addicting and, when wrapped in clear plastic, the stacked cone makes a great hostess gift.
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Optional: Candy sprinkles
- Optional: Pine nuts (pignoli)
- Put flour on board; make a well in center.
- Into the well, carefully add eggs, egg yolk, oil, sugar, salt, and lemon peel. Knead dough well.
- Shape dough into tiny marble-sized balls and fry (just a few at a time) in 2 cups hot oil until golden.
- As dough fries, warm honey in saucepan; add orange peel.
- Drop fried balls in honey and orange peel mixture and remove with slotted spoon.
- Stack on serving dish into shape of cone. Cool.
- Top with candy sprinkles and nuts, or leave plain.