- Prep: 1 hr 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 1 hr 25 min
- Serving: Makes 12 cups
Strawberries and lemonade mark the beginning of warm summer weather. Serve this non-alcoholic refreshment at your next BBQ or evening get-together.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 pounds strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup tightly packed basil leaves
- 6 cups cold water
- 3 cups lemon juice, chilled
- 1/2 pound strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced 1/2-inch thick, for garnish
- 1/4 cup tightly packed, blemish-free basil leaves, for garnish
- Put the 3 cups of sugar and the 1-1/2 cups of water into a saucepan and place over high heat.
- Stir the mixture frequently to dissolve the sugar and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the 1-1/2 pounds of strawberries, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer mixture for 12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the 1 cup of basil leaves. Let the mixture sit for 1 hour before straining into a punch bowl.
- Pour the 6 cups of water and the lemon juice into the punch bowl and stir to blend.
- Add ice to the bowl and garnish the punch with the 1/2 pound of strawberries and the 1/4 cup of basil leaves.