- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 6 min
- Total: 11 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
This recipe takes a classic Italian concept of topping toasted bread, and turns it into a sweet treat for the entire family.
- 4 thick slices whole-wheat bread
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups sliced or diced hulled strawberries
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone
- Toast the bread slices for about 3 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Drop in the strawberries, stir and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Spread the prepared bread slices with 1 tablespoon of the mascarpone cheese, and then evenly spoon on the strawberry mixture.