- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: Makes about 8 cups
Adding basil to homemade strawberry jam adds fresh and aromatic undertones of flavor. Slather this spread onto freshly baked country bread and enjoy.
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1 1-3/4-ounce package regular powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 7 cups sugar
- Put the strawberries, one batch at a time, into a large pot and mash with a potato masher or a fork. Add the chopped bananas and continue to mash until combined.
- Add the pectin and the butter and stir to combine. Place the mixture over high heat and bring to a boil while stirring continuously.
- Pour in the sugar and return mixture to a rolling boil, making sure to stir constantly to prevent sticking and to help melt the sugar.
- Take the pot off the heat, skim off any foam with a spoon and discard, and then stir in the fresh snipped basil.
- Pour the strawberry and banana mixture into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch from the top, add the lids and then place in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the canner and place in a cool, dry area for 2 weeks making sure to invert the jars twice a day.