- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: Serves 4-6 people
A lovely way to serve your vegetables, Steamed Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce is elegant and delicious.
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 pound of melted butter, cooled to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of cayenne
- Prepare the asparagus: Bend the asparagus spears near the end to break off the tough part. You don't have to try hard, as this is the natural spot where they should break.
- Using a large, shallow saucepan, add about half an inch of water (or enough to just cover the asparagus) over high heat. When the water begins to boil, add the asparagus and allow to boil until the water turns a bright green color. Remove from heat, drain and keep the asparagus warm until ready to serve.
- Prepare the Hollandaise Sauce: Use a double boiler for this sauce. If you don't have one, use a thick ceramic bowl set into a heavy pan that has about 1-1/2 inches of water in it. Also be sure to use a whisk for constant stirring.
- Add the egg yolks to the bowl (or upper part of the double boiler) while off the heat. Whisk together. Place the upper bowl over the hot water. Stir the eggs continuously and slowly bring the water to a simmer (make sure not to boil). While stirring, make sure there is no film at the bottom of the bowl.
- Once the yolks are thick, begin to add the cooled, melted butter, gradually and slowly. Again, be sure to stir constantly. As you gradually add the butter, be certain it's incorporated into the eggs before adding more. When all the butter has been added, add the lemon juice a bit at a time, and immediately remove from the heat. Add the salt and a dash of cayenne.
- Place the warmed asparagus on a serving platter and pour the Hollandaise Sauce over them. Serve immediately.