- Prep: 2 hr
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 2 hr 20 min
- Serving: 12 muffins
Great side for soups and dinner.
- 1 package yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cold water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch alum
- 3/4 cup scalding milk
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a muffin pan.
- In a large bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- In another bowl mix together the sugar, salt, alum, shortening and scalded milk. Stir until the shortening has melted. Cool with 1/2 cup cold water.
- Pour the shortening mixture and the egg in with the yeast. Add the flour and mix well.
- Cover and let rise for 45-60 minutes. Push down with a spoon, and allow to rise again for another 45 minutes.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes.