- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 12
If you love onions this is the dish for you.
- 12 medium yellow onions
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakers
- 3 1/2 cups drained thawed frozen chopped spinach
- 2 1/2 cups drained chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Cut 1/3" off top of each onion.
- Scoop out centers with a melon baler, leaving a 1/2" shell.
- Finely chop scooped out portion of onions, set aside. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil; add reserved chopped onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring frequently 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add spinach, roasted red peppers and 1/2 cup chicken stock; simmer 2-3 minutes until broth evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese and nutmeg. Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 13x9" baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Spoon spinach mixture into onion shells.
- Place onions in prepared pan; pour remaining 1/2 cup broth into pan.
- Cover with foil; bake 30-40 minutes until onions are tender.