- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 11 min
- Total: 21 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
You can usually find pure maple syrup at your local supermarket, or at a specialty foods store. It should be the only item listed on the ingredient list.
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 10-ounce package fresh spinach, torn, or 12 cups baby spinach
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2-1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded smoked Cheddar
- Using a small frying pan or sauté pan, toast the pecans over low heat, shaking pan contents back and forth, for about 2-1/2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool and set aside.
- Add the oil to the pan and heat over medium-low heat, then add the shallot and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Pour in the maple syrup, vinegar and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Place the spinach and cucumber into a large salad bowl and toss to combine, then pour over the maple dressing and toss again.
- Scatter the pecans and cheese over the salad and serve immediately.