- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 45 min
Try this easy and healthy dish perfect for entertaining or for any other night of the week.
- 4 (6 ounce) chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 cup whole baby spinach, divided
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (1/4 for the chicken, 1/2 for the topping)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Fresh or dried basil (or any herb)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place a chicken breast on work surface, smooth side down. Top with 1/4 cup of the spinach, 1/4 cup of the cheese, and 1 tomato slice. Fold in ends and roll tightly. Place seam side down on a platter. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Whisk together egg whites and broth. Divide flour onto two large plates.
- Coat stuffed chicken with flour, then dip into egg mixture and back into flour (shake off any excess). Set chicken roulade on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium. Brown each chicken roulade, then place on an unlined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While stuffed chicken is baking, prepare topping: In small saucepan, combine tomato, spinach, vinegar, broth, and herbs. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice each chicken roulade horizontally into 1-inch slices and place on a plate. Top each portion with warm tomato mixture and serve.