- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Total: 18 min
- Serving: 8 servings
Toasting hazelnuts until fragrant and golden, and then tossing with a mix of fresh baby spinach, ripe pears and gorgonzola cheese, creates a delicious salad full of contrasting flavors and textures.
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup hazelnut or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 firm-ripe pears (8 ounces each), thinly sliced
- 4 quarts baby spinach leaves (1 pound) rinsed and dried
- 1 cup gorgonzola cheese (6 ounces), crumbled
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place the hazelnuts into a large sauté pan over medium heat and cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until toasted. Transfer the nuts to a clean towel; once cool, rub the nuts in the towel to remove their skins. Coarsely chop the hazelnuts and set aside.
- Place the vinegar, oil, and mustard into a large bowl and whisk vigorously until thoroughly blended. Add the pears to the dressing, toss to coat, and then add the spinach, cheese, and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss the salad gently to combine and then serve immediately.