- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Similar to Greek ‘spanakopita,’ this dish incorporates the wonderful flavors of spinach and feta cheese but without the filo pastry.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1 cup cottage cheese, drained
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees and coat a 9-inch pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Place the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Place the olive oil in a medium-sized sauté pan over medium-low heat, and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, cottage cheese, feta cheese, eggs, oregano and pepper to the garlic mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to the prepared 9-inch pan and then sprinkle the top with the breadcrumb mixture. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center tests clean.