- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: Serves 4 people
Spinach and cheese-stuffed tomatoes are delicious and a great source of vitamins and protein. This dish is an easy, tasty crowd pleaser.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 6 cups fresh spinach, packed
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh basil, snipped or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato (the stem end). Hollow out the tomatoes with a kitchen spoon and discard the seeds. Make sure the tomato shell is about 1/2-inch thick. Chop the inside remains of the tomatoes and set aside.
- Add the fresh spinach to a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Cover it and cook for about 2-3 minutes. The spinach will begin to wilt. Once it's wilted, remove it from the heat, drain it well and chop it. Set the spinach aside.
- Add the olive oil to the saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic until they're tender. Turn off the heat, but add the chopped tomato, spinach, ricotta cheese, basil, and salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Spoon the mixture into the tomato shells and put them in a shallow baking dish. Stir the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese together and sprinkle the mixture over the tomatoes.
- Bake the tomatoes for about 20 minutes, or until the stuffing is heated through and the tops are golden brown.