- Prep: 5 hr
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 5 hr
- Serving: About 18 Servings
Wassail is a traditional hot drink made from a blend of ale, sherry and spices. This version uses many similar ingredients but also includes apple cider and cranberry juice.
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1 quart cranberry juice cocktail
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 27 whole cloves
- 15 allspice berries
- 4 (4-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 5 small firm cooking apples of your choice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium orange peel, without pith
- 2 cups Calvados
- Place 12 of the cloves, the allspice berries, and the cinnamon sticks in a small piece of cheesecloth and secure with a string to make a small pouch.
- Put the apple cider, cranberry juice, and brown sugar into a slow cooker, add the spice pouch and cook, covered, for 5 hours on low.
- In the meantime, heat the oven to 375 degrees and cook the apples, studded with the remaining cloves, in a baking pan with water. Cook for 45 minutes and then remove from the oven and set side.
- Place the cooked apples in the slow cooker after it has cooked the spice mixture for 5 hours, and then add the orange peel. Remove the spice bag, discard and stir in the Calvados.
- Serve directly from the slow cooker to keep the beverage warm.