- Prep: 3 hr
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 3 hr 30 min
- Serving: 8
The eggs in this traditional recipe are cooked, so there's no risk of illness.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup whiskey, rum or brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Beat eggs and sugar in saucepan until creamy.
- In separate saucepan, heat 2 cups milk over low heat until hot. Add milk very slowly to egg mixture, stirring continuously.
- Stir over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened mixture reaches 170°F.
- Stir in rest of milk, vanilla, whiskey, and half the nutmeg. Chill 2 to 3 hours.
- Beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold into milk mixture.
- To serve, ladle eggnog into punchbowl and sprinkle with remaining nutmeg.