- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 12
Chocolate in chili? You bet. Traditional mole recipes are made with chocolate, a prized ingredient that enriches the dish without adding too much sweetness. This mole-inspired chili will be a quick favorite among your chili-loving Super Bowl guests.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chopped 90 percent dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Sour cream
- Shaved 90 percent dark chocolate
- Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add beef and cook, breaking it apart with a spatula, for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cocoa powder,chocolate, cayenne and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently to keep mixture from sticking to the pan, until beef is browned.
- Add the tomato sauce and beef broth and bring the mixture to a boil, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Stir in the cornmeal and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and a sprinkling each of dark chocolate and oregano.