- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: Serves 6 people
A hearty dish for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike, Spicy Lentil and Pasta Soup is perfect on a cold winter evening. Nutritious and filling, serve this for dinner with a fresh green salad and crunchy bread.
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2, 14.5-ounce cans of vegetable broth
- 1, 14.5-ounce can of stewed tomatoes (no-salt)
- 2 cups of water
- 8 ounces dried lentils
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 ounces of uncooked spaghetti, uncooked, broken into small pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Fresh Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Use a large saucepan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions, carrot, celery and jalapeno. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the veggies are slightly tender.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, water, lentils, chili powder and oregano. Bring to a boil. After boiling, reduce heat to simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Combine your pasta with the lentil mixture and cook for about 10 minutes, until the pasta is tender.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese. Great with a fresh salad and crunchy bread.